Tuesday, December 15, 2009

How I met your Hollywood Let Down on HIMYM

I was a huge fan of How I Met Your Mother until. . .last. . .night. . .

UGH. That was the punch in the gut when the producers decided to inform us that their five lovable characters were all a bunch of smokers. . .

So once again, Hollywood tries to shove smoking down our throat. I was sickened, because really, in 2009, all five off these people are smoking. . .six or seven years out of college. . .

I just really didn't get it. Perhaps this is something that is still common in NYC in the late 20-something early 30-something set, but in my group, smoking is appropriately shunned as the stupid act that it is. . .

Look, I understand that quitting smoking is a pain, I've literally seen family members and friends wreslte with the fact that once you start, you're fighting billions of dollars of science to quit.

The problem is that I thought that the How I Met Your Mother Crew was above the fray. . .so finding out four-plus years later that they weren't that really causes some major problems as a viewer.

I was a fan of the show because I thought these guys could show up at one of our parties and fit right in. . .once they went outside for their first drag, we'd lock the door and not let them back in. So now, last night's episode has caused similar thoughts do we just kill this show dead or do we try to block out the fact that the characters you really liked are people you just really wouldn't get along with after all. . .bitter taste. . .back of mouth. . .very disappointed indeed. . .

No comments: